Ngati Manu Logo (1990)
Artist: TE NGAREATUA (Selwyn) WILSON - (1927-2002)Te Ngareatua (Selwyn) Wilson - known as Selwyn, affiliates to the Ngati Manu Hapu ki Karetu. When he was born at Taumarere in 1927, he was given the name Te Ngareatua by his grandfather, who prophesied that this, the youngest child of Kapu Reweti and Peter Wilson would be a special child who would achieve distinction.
After he attended the Kawakawa District High School, he went to study at the Elam School of Art in Tamaki Makaurau. In 1951, he completed his study at Elam School of Art and gained his Diploma of Fine Arts. In 1957, while he was working in the Art section of the Department of Education in Auckland, Selwyn was awarded a Sir Apirana Ngata bursary to study ceramics in London, England. He did very well in London, some of his pottery was placed in the permanent collection at the Central School of Art, London and he also sold much of his work.
Although pottery was his main interest, he was also a painter and two of his paintings are in the collection at the Auckland Art Gallery. When he returned to New Zealand, Selwyn looked for a teaching position near his home, he was glad to accept one at Northland College in Kaikohe. He then accepted the Art Tutor permanent position at Bay of Islands College, Kawakawa, which is only 1.5kms from his "Papakainga" homestead in Taumarere. Selwyn Wilson tutored many Ngati Manu students during his career (over thirty five years) at the Bay of Islands College .
NGATI MANU LOGO (1990)
The Ngati Manu logo depicts the manaia, guardian of the sea, which encompasses “Tangaroa” Te Atua o Te Moana of all Sea Life and Creatures. To celebrate Ngati Manu Iwi with our strong bond and connections to “Tangaroa". Ngati Manu are seafaring and transient peoples, who live and travel in our settlements all over the Bay of Islands. Furthermore, Trans-Pacific, Atlantic and Global travel of “POMARENUI” te Tangata Rangatira o tenei hapu no Ngati Manu ki Karetu me tetahi atu ko Te Uri Karaka ki Ruapekapeka, Taumarere
Selwyn created this logo in 1990 for Ngati Manu hapu, to commemorate and celebrate the Opening Day of the newly extended and renovated Wharekai “MEMORIAL HALL”. The new additions were; extended and renovated Wharekai; New Ablution blocks and New Kohanga Reo, with walkways and all with appropriate landscaping and excavations work carried out for the new builds.
The launch of the Ngati Manu Logo coincided with this Grand Occasion and featured on apparel by way of white sweatshirts. The logo design was embroidered in the true colours.
1990 Photo – Opening Day Celebrations “Memorial Hall” Wharekai, which was newly upgraded by extensions and renovations. Also new toilet/shower block. A walkway between the Wharekai and Tupunawhare. A brand new Kohanga Reo built, behind the Tupunawhare and landscaping. The photo shows the full car-park, buses and huge marquee on the opposite side of Karetu Road (unsealed). The thousands of visitors and home people to Ngati Manu Marae, a mammoth day was celebrated. The work was carried out by skilled carpenters of Ngati Manu Hapu and Marae, Karetu.
(1990 – 2003) Ngati Manu Axemen’s Chopping Carnival Day. Also the annual Marae fundraiser event held at home. The logo promoted merchandise such as, beer mugs and glassware, coasters, sweatshirts and tee-shirts. The Northland Axemen’s Annual Chopping Circuit (still active), starts on New Year’s Day at Opononi, Hokianga. Ngati Manu Axemen’s Chopping Carnival circuit date was always the first Saturday after New Year’s Day. Very successful Day with Local, National and International Axemen in the competitions and World Records were made and broken. A great whanaungatanga time that was enjoyed in the New Year of the summer holidays. A definite calendar fixture celebration during those years.
The Ngati Manu Logo has enjoyed success and acceptance by the hapu and is also well recognised by the wider communities and manuhiri alike.
Page last updated 18 Oct 2016